December 3, 2013

Zain Bhikha at the Global Peace and Unity Event

Ghosia from Damask Photography was kind enough to ask me to work with her on shooting Zain Bhikha at the Global Peace and Unity event, held at the Excel Centre here in London. Zain is currently working on a documentary for his 20th anniversary of his career as a nasheed singer and needed some photos as well as footage of what the public as well as fellow singers thought about his music and how it has influenced people in general. Ghosia filmed the performance and interviews, while I was given the task of taking photos.

As Zain is a fellow South African, I was really looking forward to meeting him and also getting to know more about his singing. I've heard of his singing, but had no idea just how popular his music is here in the UK. Young kids know all his songs off by heart and almost every single person attending the show seemed to be his fan.

Being a Muslim from Cape Town, Capetonians are generally not into nasheeds. Its something we listen to, but its not hugely popular as it is in other parts of the country. I haven't figured out why this is, but I don't know many Capetonians who know nasheeds off by heart. It's definitely gaining popularity now, slowly but surely, and I do hope Zain will be amongst the popular very soon.

His music, as quoted by many fans, is quite "peaceful" and "inspiring". And I have to agree. It appeals to all ages and for young Muslim children, I think this is a good way for them to remember their Creator. What kid doesn't love music? Zain loves working with kids, and in this way, I think his music will always stay popular and current. If not that, then his kind, grounded personality, will keep him loved in this industry. For someone with so much fame, his managed to stay humble, and that's quite rare these days.


2 comments:

  1. Looking at these photos my first question would be, where are all the women? Did you choose not to photograph them or were there none in attendance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha there were definitely women :) theses are just a few of the hundreds of photos I took. I just decided to share some of the pics with Zain in. Just so happens that none of these have women in them! The GPU is a massive event for the public.

      Delete